I guess it was not as clear to most that i was joking on my last post about Blogger Filipino Support.
So i want to make a clarification on why i said Tagalog was/is the Official language of the Philippines so i will quote from a note one of my Pinoy friends sent me as a
"you are right but...."
In a nutshell, Tagalog was chosen as the national language in 1937. In 1959, it was renamed to Pilipino (note the . This was reaffirmed in the 1973 constitution (but set the spark to develop a language called Filipino). Then in 1987 Filipino was made the national language, which "shall be further developed and enriched on the basis of existing Philippine and other languages."From my understanding, this was supposed to be some sort of Philippine Esperanto but instead Tagalog was used the base while vocabulary from other Philippine languages was to be imported. And in a sense, it kind of has. There has been a Filipino dictionary (which I've not yet seen) published by the University of the Philippines that has imported these words ===> something from that blog
That means i am fundamentally right from a historic point because even if Filipino is now the national name of the language, the reasons to be it so are merely political unlike when tagalog was named the national language as a ethnic identification of the Philippines.
So yeah, both ways are right, just that i have history on my side to feel i am even more right. :P
My pinoy friend say this is one of those never ending controversies so why arguing with them when i see it in their own blogs like:
I hope this clears up the why of my last post.
- How to implement a Google Custom Domain in a Blogg...
- Blogger Says: Graham Waldon leaves Blogger
- A little clarification on my Filipino- Tagalog sta...
- Blogger Says: Now in Tagalog, Blogger calls it "Fi...
- Blogging vs MicroBlogging vs FastBlogging : They A...
- Blogger in Draft: Scheduled Posting into the futur...
- Blogger in Draft: A Dynamic BlogRoll , A Blog List...
- Blogger Says: Some Updates, Some Fixes and New Iss...
- ▼ February (9)